Thursday 26 June 2014

Life playlist - Childish Gambino

I'm going to keep this short and sweet...I don't even know why I'm here at school today, it's two days before holidays and literally nothing is happening. This is a joke. I would learn more in an isolation tank.



I have listened to just about every Childish Gambino song, trying to stay calm with the knowledge that I'm not going to be seeing him at Splendour in the Grass later in the year as I am not attending on the day that he is. I've watched a hell of a lot of interviews with Donald Glover (also known as Childish Gambino) and I couldn't not write something.

I am a huge Childish Gambino fan, and ever since I saw Donald Glover in Girls (yikes, not the gender, the TV series by Lena Dunham), I've been a massive fan of his acting also. Not to mention his writing for 30 Rock...Donald does it all.

I read a some lame quote once that said something like 'If your life was a movie, would you watch it?" Ever since I saw this I have been making a list of songs that would be great in a playlist for my life movie.
I cannot think of one Childish Gambino song that wouldn't be perfect for a life playlist. I'll let you in on something, when I'm having a shitty day I listen to one of his songs, usually something like Sweatpants, Bonfire, Freaks and Geeks, 3005, and they instantly lift my mood. No, that's wrong, they don't make me feel completely fine again, they just make me more confident in myself. They cause me to realise that it doesn't matter..."I'm doing me better than you're doing you". (I'm not, I'm sure you're doing you excellently also, but when I'm feeling down, sometimes that's just what I need to hear). I don't know, I'm sure we all have that one artist, or album that just makes us realise that it's all fine, to take things more lightly...something to distract us from reality for a bit. And Childish Gambino does this for me.

I think he would appreciate that to be honest, he has plenty of interviews which I cherish because he explains that we are in an age where we can genuinely do anything we want to do. Instead of imagining yourself as a well-loved musician, respected sports star, or admired blogger put your words to action, because it can happen. It is easier than ever to be respected for your talents, so why not put yourself out there. The people you see succeeding in their position (such as Donald Glover) are the people that believed in themselves, and worked hard to be where they are.

Here's a good interview if you are interested:


Enough of this pep talk, do what you want. Here are some of my picks for my Childish Gambino life playlist. If you can honestly tell me that you can't imagine these songs playing in the background of your life, I'll be shocked.







No comments:

Post a Comment