Sunday 22 June 2014

Coldplay takes over Sticky Fingers' King Street

If you pay attention to celebrity news, you may have heard about Coldplay's recent filming of Sky Full of Stars in Australia's own King Street, Sydney. If you're a Sticky Fingers' fan like myself, you might be slightly disturbed by the similarity between Coldplay's video clip and Sticky Fingers Australia Street clip (shown below). 




I'm not going to lie, I am impressed with Sticky Fingers' reaction to this whole situation. "We are not bitter, if they did copy ours we are flattered and we are glad to see they got some love for Newtown because it is a cool place" says bass player, Patty Cornwall (Vincent, 2014). 

I have to admit, although I tend to be on my phone a fair bit, I couldn't agree more with Cornwall when he commented on the way in which the fans seemed to film themselves in the Coldplay clip, almost spending more time ensuring that Chris Martin was in their shot, than actually embracing the experience.
Cornwall states that "[they] already getting a cameo role in [their] favourite band's video clip but [they] have to go further and film [themselves] and everything. It's boring and it's a bit sad" (Vincent, 2014).

Coldplay feat. a hell of a lot of fans filming themselves being filmed.
(Not my photo, reference below)

I personally am a fan of Coldplay, I think what they did was impressive for a band of their status. It was an absolutely brilliant way to involve and give thanks to their fans, the ones who brought them to where they are today. Technically, they did absolutely nothing wrong, although if they were 'copying' Sticky Fingers' clip, I do think they should at least give a bit of a shout out to our Australian band.
I'm just am very shocked, as I am sure many of you are also, at how similar both of the clips were. Both being filmed in the same area, with the same style of playing live music with a gathering of fans walking along side. Kinda crazy, but if both bands are lighthearted about the situation, woohoo!

You can buy Coldplay's most recent album on iTunes now --> https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/ghost-stories/id829909653

And (!), as much awaited, Sticky Fingers will be releasing their album on August 1st WORLDWIDE! So make sure you are right on that.

- Stella Grace xx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All quotes from: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/coldplay-fans-are-dorks-say-newtown-band-sticky-fingers-20140620-zsgpa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment