Saturday 17 January 2015

The perfect film clip?



My one true love, Childish Gambino, released his film clip for Sober yesterday, and I'm going to make a bold statement...it may be one of the most fitting film clips I have seen created for a song.


I am massive fan of all of Donald Glover's works, and I was delighted to see him produce yet another amazing piece. This film clip is super simple, showing Donald dancing in an empty restaurant to impress the one other customer (a super bangin' gal).

I think the effectiveness of the film clip basically comes down to its simplicity. Childish Gambino's film clips tend to always have extremely engaging themes, and are portrayed with simple and easy-to-watch camera shots. Take for example Sweatpants - that film clip was extremely effective and engaging to watch due to the bizarre themes and interesting concepts in conjunction with the simple camera shot following Childish Gambino through the diner. It's this whole "easy to watch" concept I think. There's not too many things to watch, or too many angles so you have to be actively watching the entire time...it's just simple - easy - effective.

Nah, I just watched this film clip again...this is brilliant. I thoroughly enjoy this video. It's realistic and therefore engages the audience more because we can relate to it more easily. It's humorous plus Donald Glover can actually dance...which for some reason I was surprised by.  It isn't predictable...the girl doesn't get up and dance with him at the end THANK GOD...she gets up and gives the impression she's going to groove, but then she just collects her food and walks out...it's awkward and exactly how it would happen in real life.

I give this film clip five stars...I know that's a bold move. It will probably piss off my Dad because "if it's five stars that means it cannot possibly get any better", and in most people's eyes there probably are things they would add to make it better for them personally. But I think, for a film clip to be this popular and effective for such a wide audience - of course there are things individuals would add to make it better for them - but this seems to be simply perfect for a wide range of astute music lovers. Five stars God dammit.

Stella xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment