Sunday 11 January 2015

Sia - Elastic Heart

So, if you have been on the internet recently you have probably heard about Australian musician Sia's new film clip for Elastic Heart. Starring Shia Lebeouf (Transformers, Nymphomaniac, Holes) and Maddie Ziegler (who you may recognise from Sia's previously film clip for Chandelier, or from Dance Moms if you're that way inclined) the clip has unfortunately been at the sharp end of the knife after some pedophilia rumours and backlash from the public.

I found this so upsetting to hear and honestly it makes me incredibly angry. Before I go any further, view this clip for yourself, gather your own opinion and meet me in the next paragraph.


When I first began researching this topic a couple of days ago I never expected to become as passionate and supportive of this clip as I am. This is art, and the negative energy that it has created honestly breaks my heart because I have fallen into a deep love with this video. I find this one of the most beautifully confronting, artistic and thoughtful film clips to be produced in recent years. To tell the truth I am not a huge Sia fan, but that could be mostly to blame on the fact that Chandelier was playing constantly on the radio at work for months on end...but I think I have been converted with Elastic Heart.

When I watched the clip with my boyfriend, he suggested it seemed very father/daughter like. I can see that idea especially in the caring nature of the choreography, although my interpretation was that they were the same person, each character playing different sides of one personality. Upon research I discovered this to be correct. Sia created the clip with the intention of both Shia and Maddie playing herself.





I find it extremely confronting that there were so many viewers suggesting the video had pedophilic intent. Is it the fact that they are wearing minimal clothing? Was it the intense emotion they showed towards eachother? Because I found neither of these things to be provocative nor suggesting of anything sensual. You can see by the movements of Shia's character that he is caring of Maddie's character despite their battle - the way he wakes her, the way he picks her up whilst she lies on his back, the way he places her down. In the same way, Maddie's character seems in control throughout the entirety of the dance - the way she can escape the enclosure, the way she looks at him, the way she approaches him with strength rather than fear, and finally the way she begs for him to escape the enclosure with her at the end. This is clearly not a romantic relationship, nor is it a sinister one.

Although I respect everyones opinions, I do think that anyone making such disturbing claims as to suggest that certain artists, whether that's Sia, Shia Lebeouf, choreographer Ryan Heffington, or director Daniel Askill intended the film clip to present pedophilic values is absolutely revolting. Without coming across too harshly, I do think if you are disturbed by this film clip and find it sexual/sinister than that may say a lot more about you and your mind set than it does of the film clip itself.

I find it very interesting that Sia said Maddie and Shia were the only too people able to capture the two sides of the 'Sia personality'. Throughout performances and interviews Sia does not show her face to the audience nor cameras. She does this as a way of keeping her privacy, and be recognised for her voice rather than her appearance. And what does a super star who does't want their face to be shown remind you of?
...Perhaps Shia's attempt to be not famous -



All in all, I have fallen head over heals in love with this film clip. It is moving, engaging, emotional and simply beautiful. I genuinely feel moved by the section seen at 3:07 where Shia screams through the bars of the enclosure. If that isn't some of the best acting you have seen...pwoah. I have no words.
I am hurt by the disturbing claims and could not disagree with them more if I tried. I commend Sia, Maddie Ziegler, Shia Lebeouf, Ryan Heffington, Daniel Askill on coming together to create such a brilliant piece of art.

- Stella xx

No comments:

Post a Comment