Thursday 10 July 2014

G in the Park - The 1975

Today at work I served a young, cool, groovy looking couple. The girl was wearing a khaki coloured windbreaker, and her boyfriend had a nose piercing, and a ponytail. They paid with $50, and I was getting them their $19.75 change. As I gave them their change I said "there's your nineteen seventy-five change," and I just looked at him...like, with a real keen look in my eye...like telepathically saying "you're cool, acknowledge that not only are you getting an annoying amount of coins as change, but your change is also the name of an amazing band...acknowledge it." To my bitter disappointment, he just looked confused as to why I was being so peculiar, took the money and left.

Coincidentally, BBC Radio 1 released The 1975's G in the Park set recently. So, my night so far has consisted of the pleasure of sitting in bed with Olive (my dog) next to me, and listening to this astonishing live acoustic set. I found myself distracted by the fire burning behind the audience, because it looked purple, and all (...most) of the audience members clothes are really nice, as well as Matthew Healy's (lead singer's) hair, it's so healthy.
Anyway, have you heard it? If not, you're sooo welcome:


I remember when I thought I was the first person to hear that song, and it was like 'my thing', and then I realised that they are loved by thousands around the world, and I'm not that unique. But they are, unique I mean, honestly, this is such lovely, raw, non-cliched art.

The 1975's acoustic version of 'Sex' (the song...obviously...) is one of my favourite things in the world of music. I find it a lot more emotional than the original...I just really love it. This is it here:


If you aren't doing so already, I would really love to draw your attention to the guitar playing of these lovely lads. Focus on it. It's heaven. HEAVEN. These guys are real musicians...real artists. 


The 1975 are playing at Splendour in the Grass in a couple of weeks, but unfortunately, they are not playing on the day I am attending :----(
I have heard that they are amazing live, and very friendly in the way that they walk around the festivals and chat to fans and just be genuine people. I really appreciate that. Like, good on them. That is a really respectful thing for artists to do in my opinion...really super cool.
So if you see them live, or bump into them before I do, send them my everlasting love and support. 

- Stella Grace xx

No comments:

Post a Comment