Thursday 12 December 2013

YouTube Favourite - Lilly Ahlberg

It has taken me far too long to write this blog post, which I apologise for. Perhaps it's because of school, perhaps I want to express my thoughts correctly, perhaps I shouldn't make excuses, I should just write.

A few months ago now my very good friend sent me a link to a YouTube musician called Lilly Ahlberg (links are in at the bottom). He sent me a link to her cover of Mr Brightside by the Killers. The cover was absolutely stunning, different to the original as Lilly really made it her own. I found this cover very haunting and personal, fairly melancholy and I just fell in love. Often when such amazing songs such as this are covered, it is difficult for them to live up to the original, but yet Lilly really did the song justice, and it was for this reason that I really started listening to more and more of her channel.

Lilly Ahlberg (not my photo - link below)

I am an extremely big fan of YouTube musicians and cover artists as I find them easy to relate to in the way that they are often very down to earth as well as connected to their fans. This is exactly what Lilly Ahlberg is, which I think really adds something to her performance, so BIG props to her for that.

Lilly has covered some absolutely amazing songs, giving them all a unique and personal spin. Perhaps it helps a bit that her and I have extremely similar taste in music...
Her covers of songs such as 'Yoko', originally performed by Pegasus Bridge (my personal favourite, video below), and 'Lua' by Bright Eyes (for example) are songs that you do not hear covered very often at all. But despite highlighting these, she does cover songs that are very popular, and yet, she manages to stand out from the crowd. Her cover of MGMT's 'Kids', and 'We Can't Stop' by Miley Cyrus being stand alone examples of this as well as of her raw talent.
I am sure I am not the only one who respects Lilly beyond belief for not only attempting, but succeeding in creating these absolutely unique and stunning covers.


If you haven't already, I highly recommend you take a look at Lilly's YouTube (links are below). Honestly, I don't believe you will be disappointed. No matter what your music taste is I think everyone will be able to find something in her music, whether thats the music taste, unique spin, or personal meanings to the covers. If not, I guarantee that that you will be able to recognise the unique beauty  within her music.
All in all, congratulations Lilly Ahlberg on everything so far. You have a bright future and you truly deserve every glimmer of success, and for all of your wildest dreams to become reality.

Lilly Ahlberg (not my photo - link below)

- Stella Grace x

P.S Thank you to Lilly for letting me write this talent acknowledging blog post, you are very inspiring, so please keep the music coming.

Lilly's links:
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sillllylilllly
Pledge Music: http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/12814
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lillyahlbergmusic
Twitter: @lillyahlberg
Instagram: @lillyahlberg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pictures: 
http://www.youtube.com/user/sillllylilllly?feature=watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1VIkQNrcqo


No comments:

Post a Comment