Monday 1 July 2013

Lewis Watson EP - Four More Songs

This blog post is almost a bit of a sequel to the blog review I posted a while back of musician Lewis Watson.

Over night, last night, Lewis Watson released his newest EP 'Four More Songs'. The EP, funnily enough, includes 4 songs;
1. Calling
2. Songs That We Wrote When We Were Drunk
3. Close (demo)
4. Made Up Love Song #43

Lewis Watson - Four More Songs - EP art

I have been a huge fan of Lewis Watson for a long time now, and I can genuinely say that this EP is one of my favourites so far. 

The first song of the EP, 'Calling', was originally released on Lewis's YouTube channel close to a year ago, and ever since it was released there, I have been biting my nails waiting for it to be properly recorded and released haha. And finally, last month, the film clip was released for 'Calling' by Lewis Watson! (This video is below).
I was incredibly excited to see that this was the first song on the EP, as I think the up tempo beat and 'fun' vibe the song gives off, is a really groovy and exciting way to begin the EP. I think this song tends to put the listener in a good mood, and excites them, increasing their anticipation for the following songs. This song originally came across to me as a little different from some of his previous songs, due to the up beat and faster sound. But upon further analysis of the song, Calling is clearly a very 'Lewis Watson song' in the way that it perfectly portrays the individuality that Lewis as a musician, manages to show throughout his songs.


'Songs That We Wrote When We Were Drunk' is the second song on the EP. Lewis released a lyric video for this song about a month ago on his YouTube channel, and I find it amazing in the truthfulness of it. The lyrics to this song are really appropriate and describe the situation perfectly, almost like a story or a conversation, and lyrically, it is very personal and extremely relatable. With the beautiful and unique tune of the song, Lewis manages to 'tell the story' of the song, without making it too plain or conversational; it is smooth and really easy to listen to.
Originally when I listened to 'Songs That We Wrote When We Were Drunk', although I did really appreciate it as a piece and adore the song, it wasn't my favourite on the EP. But there was something so personal about the song that caused me to, without even thinking about it, listen to it a lot (when I say a lot, I mean A LOT). I also found this song in my head a lot which was really lovely.
I love this song, I think Lewis Watson has portrayed the emotions perfectly throughout the song, making it relatable to the audience, which is something he manages to do often. Really amazing job on this song, Lewis.

The third song on the EP is 'Close (demo)'. I was excited to hear this song as it was the only song off this EP that was unavailable on YouTube or his SoundCloud prior to its official release. Therefore, because of this, I have not been able to listen to Close (demo) nearly as much as I wish. Despite this, listening to this song really...warmed me. I mean that in the most normal way possible. I adore this song. I really do. It's a huge statement I know, but I think this may just be my favourite song on this EP.
As a guitar player myself, I am in love with the guitar throughout this song. It has a very calming feel to the guitar strumming which I love. The instrumental aspect of the piece is subtle in its playing, but really allows the song to flow, almost carrying the lyrics throughout the piece.
As always, Lewis has written the most beautiful lyrics along with this song. They are so personal, but in the way that I think they will be uniquely personal to each particular listener. I mean this in the way that I think each listener of the song will find their own meaning to the song, which is absolutely amazing, and a real talent that Lewis Watson has.

The last song on 'Four More Songs' is 'Made Up Love Song #43'. This song is Lewis Watson's cover of an original song by Guillemots, which was released in late 2009 (video of the original is below).


When I heard that Lewis Watson was going to cover this song, I was a bit confused as the original is crazy (very good), yet quite different to Lewis's usual style, and I really didn't know how Lewis was going to cover it. I really shouldn't have doubted him for a moment. This cover is amazing. Lewis Watson has changed the original song perfectly, not so much that it is unrecognisable, but enough that it is 'his own'. This is genuinely such a beautiful cover of the song. Lewis Watson has given it a real twist and made it his own, and it is stunning. To me personally, it may not be the same as you, but I develop a different emotion whilst listening to Lewis's cover, in comparison to the original by Guillemots. The original song was amazing, and very unique, and I personally didn't really find it as emotional to listen to as I did to Lewis Watson's cover. (Please do not get me wrong, the original is very groovy too).
Massive congratulations to Lewis Watson for covering this song. It would be such a difficult song to cover, and Lewis has done a tremendous job of it.

The latest EP by Lewis Watson, 'Four More Songs', I have to say, is my personal favourite EP by Lewis Watson, so far. I genuinely, before now, did not believe that anything would beat 'The Wild' by Lewis (for me). But this EP is stunning in its simplicity, I find it a very personal EP in the way that it is very emotive in its response to life and love. I think 'Four More Songs' is amazing as I believe it would evoke different emotions to different listeners, which is amazing.
Biggest congratulations to Lewis Watson with not only the release and success of this EP, but overall, congratulations on coming this far. Many, including I, are super excited to see what the future has in store for Lewis, and I am incredibly excited to see his success continue to grow.

If I have in any way intrigued you with this review, please (!) go check it out yourself. You will not regret it, I swear. The link to buy it on iTunes is available below as well as many of Lewis Watson's other links :)
What's your opinion?

P.S Lewis Watson just tweeted that he is releasing a new film clip very soon! So by the time you are reading this it is possibly already out! The link to his YouTube is below! Xo

Buy 'Four More Songs' here!
https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/four-more-songs-ep/id648046163?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HolyLoowis/featured
Website: http://lewiswatsonmusic.com
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/lewis-watson/id445534728
Twitter: @levvis_
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lewiswatsonmusic
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/levvis
Instagram: @levvis

- Stella xo



No comments:

Post a Comment